Sunday, May 30, 2010

sweet cream woman

it occurs to me, less frequently than it perhaps should, how fucking disturbing my job really is. I spent an hour last night with my (gloved) finger inside a shih tzu's vagina, trying to pass a urinary catheter. the small catheters are floppy as hell- it's like trying to thread a noodle.thank god she was a nice dog... and mercifully sedated. "living the dream!" I said at one point. "how's YOUR Saturday?" the other tech couldn't pass it either.
then, at 150am, I was walking a neurological dog in the dark parking lot when two cop cars sped in. the area in which I work is not the greatest- so my first thought was that a murderer was on the loose and they'd traced him to our facility. no, it was just a fucking cute ewoklike dog, the survivor of a single-car drunk accident in which 2 of the 3 passengers had already died at the scene. life. ER folks, of any persuasion, are an interesting breed. it is mandatory to distract oneself from the fucked-uppery with jokes and sarcasm. one must get jaded very quickly.
I could never be a cop.
*
being back feels much better- my discombobulating culture shock only lasted about 12 hours. Alaska reminded me how much I like coffee so I brewed some this morning. raining, of course. quite nice. the neighbor took the fucking barbecue yesterday morning... hibachis are more practical anyway. dance on Wednesday, my one day off. talking about russell brand with someone at work. the rolling stone with his interview is in the break room. "I hate to say this, but I have kind of a crush on him now" I admitted. I think I even covered my eyes.
it's not Alaska, but it'll do nicely.
I'm writing this from my phone- so I am still unable to upload, obviously. but I showed some friends. they were impressed.
*
there are no patients in Renton. it's going to be a long fucking night.

No comments: