Sunday, February 28, 2010

fifteen minutes into my shift and I'm holding the muzzled front end of a horrible shih tzu sovthe doctor can swab a culturette over possible MRSA lesions on his abdomen. through the muzzle, the snarling little fucker bit me. it was just enough to draw blood so, per ACCES protocol, I am taking up space at the human ER on a busy Sunday afternoon... far more concerned about contracting MRSA and watching my arm rot off than about any bite. "you guys have a rough job" the intake nurse said cheerfully. said another nurse, "I have a shih tzu but he only has one tooth!" pets are so unifying...
after work last night I went to c's. he is truly a delight. we sat in his attic and drank tea and talked about... pretty much anything. a very attractive photograph of syd Barrett is affixed to the brick chimney that runs through the middle of the room. we agreed that it's crucial to always regard the world with wonder... smiling at each other in a "you get it, too" kind of way. I shall never be jaded, honestly. I drove home at 5, t Rex on the radio and the aurora bridge obscured by my perpetually fogged windows, grinning like I didn't know better.
*
you don't need to read "boy" by, I believe, James hanley. it has no redeeming qualitities and it's description of syphillis is medically inaccurate.
*
the nurse brought me a stack of magazines. Seattle, Health, More, or Victoria?

No comments: