Thursday, December 30, 2010

ostrich-esque

it is ass-cold in ye olde 206- clear and dry, thank god, so it doesn't feel nearly as frigid to my delicate constitution. i was actually surprised to see a frozen-solid puddle...
it finally picked up at the sanctuary. i've been booked the last three shifts- 4 massages per. it is satisfying. a new client tipped me $25 for an hour massage today and said he'll return. two other clients seperately complimented my sigur ros and popul vuh selections. my boss told me i'm "exhibiting more poise." i feel good there. i'm doing more CE next month on the paraspinals, because i'm already getting bored with working with only what i know.
here's that sludgy stew i made a while back. the meaty stuff is textured vegetable protein... excellent hot, repulsive cold. this is the pot that congealed into orphan-porridge and i guiltily dumped most of. fittingly, i just finished "america's wasteland", about the grotesque quantity of food wasted in these parts.

i made another soup last night- taters, onions, chives, celery, and a shit-ton of dill and basil and cumin and cayenne.... and bacon salt.... it's really good cold. i fucking love cooking, despite not ever really doing it.
*
the lunar eclipse, as seen through my broken-zoom camera.

k and i went to gasworks with a bottle of cook's champagne and stood on top of the hill with a handful of more-inebriated folk. as soon as the moon was completely red it was buried by clouds and did not reemerge.
i fucking love this city.

last week o made me soup on his sailboat. being cooked for is... awesome. k did it on my birthday: tomato-y chicken and pasta... i dig it. i dig it a lot. it was really fucking good soup. we watched the 'no reservations' episode of iceland. i'm somewhat unnerved now... 13 days.
afterwards i went to k's and we made evil holiday cookies.

i have fucking awesome friends. i feel very lucky.
*
because i'm working all the eves and holidays as usual (a welter of vomit and death) my parents came to seattle on sunday. we had a stupidly good meal and took photographs of the restaurant's replica of mannekin pis, complete with the ceramic gnome my parents have taken everywhere.

seriously: this gnome has been to vladivostok, amsterdam, seoul, moscow, bavaria, las vegas... and i got to borrow it for new orleans and honolulu. it's a delightful family tradition. my mother carries it in her purse for such moments.
*
other events of the past week:
-monetary reward for accruing the most kudos from my coworkers at the ER.
-a hug from my boss for my 3rd-year anniversary. fuck, 3 years...
-orgasmic pork izakaya.
-trampoline + beck.
-finishing my 2nd book in a week about india.
-sunshine for the past 2 days.
-buying plants.
happily cleaning weird neglected corners of my lair... like the top of my fridge. when you're in the right mood, ain't nothin' funner than making everything just so.
-unearthing my old record player and playing my 45 of '96 tears'- the needle is shit and the singer sounds like tiny tim.
*
i am lucky. did i already say that?
*
here is the tongue of tiresias and the hand of me.

No comments: