Friday, September 25, 2009

the salad days

this is my environment as i type this:

three weeks ago this space was occupied by a garage. they have done a good job with the renovation; it seems like it's been here for years. i am in a rare coffee-swilling mood and it tastes pretty raunchy, but i am here more to siphon wifi anyhow. this place is at the bottom of my hill (next to the infamous plaid pantry) and serves cheap bottles of wine. i sense much loitering here once it's wintery.
*
i just got a call that my attendance appeal for school has been granted. the last 48 hours had caused me to forget all about that. life is going well... for everybody, it seems. even my job last night, which involved 14 hours of me being the only inpatient nurse and dealing with relentless micturation, beeping fluid pumps, and a transfusion monitoring (and i nearly got bit in the face by a greyhound named fucking "Fergus"; i was saved by his e-collar and got jabbed in the eye with its hard plastic rim instead), was somehow slightly more tolerable... because in the back of my mind i kept chanting "i really do have other options now." i love my job, overall... i guess... but it's nice to remember that i will definitely not be there forever.
*
i jumped on the trampoline today whilst blaring garbage's first album. i'd forgotten how good it was. it transported me back to 1996- working at the cafe on minnesota, smoking pot in k's car, singing along loudly by myself to "milk" when i was feeling indulgently dramatic. some albums evoke certain eras so fucking strongly that they are impossible to listen to objectively ever again; it is very difficult to apply new memories to what's already there. that said, it was awesome to look at the sunny scenery outside my window and jump on a trampoline and think "i still feel like i'm seventeen but i have the experience of a thirty-year-old." it made me really fucking happy.
*
"inner city blues" plays. that's another evocative song. i think of 2001, driving to alpenglow in the snow, living in the i am house, perpetual darkness.
i don't remember any of my dreams from the last two nights. i have slept very peacefully.

No comments: