Friday, January 22, 2010

I drove sweet green back home today. Patrick installed a new battery for me; his neighbor (in the midst of renovating his glass-blowing studio) used his compressor to fill my front tire, and I filled her with 10.3 gallons of petrol. I inserted a beach boys cd and listened to "sloop John b" as we rattled merrily across the aurora bridge. she has insurance and current tabs. I replaced the "make levees not war" sticker in the back window. it is a singular thrill to turn an engine off and know it'll start back up again, a novelty the golf has failed to provide for the last 6 months. by the time I parked her outside my lair my sweater reeked of gasoline and hot engine fumes. I am sure the neighbors are muttering a collective "oh shit, it's back." I kissed the steering wheel before I closed the door.
freedom is a very seductive thing.

No comments: