Wednesday, July 29, 2009

hotter than balls

it is 104 degrees in seattle, washington. i don't even own a fan. it's been in the upper nineties all week and will stay this way until at least saturday. i have been sleeping downstairs with an ice pack, the ones that come with my meds that i've thoughtfully saved in the freezer. the cats are miserable, sprawled out like victims of a cattle abortion storm. i will post pictures later, for it really is pathetic.
i am skipping class today because we're doing body wraps. having my skin slathered with shit is quite near the top of my "things i absolutely don't want to experience right now" list. and i have to work in tacoma at 7pm. i called yesterday to see if someone else wanted the shift; someone who, say, actually lived in tacoma and had AC in their car. the message was lost, or perhaps never written down. so i am taking a very long time driving to the bowels of pierce county, directly into the sun, surrounded by horrible traffic, an ice pack melting in my lap. sadly, it is cooler in my car than it is in my lair, for at least my car, with all the windows rolled down, generates a bit of breeze- when the car's not stuck in fucking traffic, that is.
heat makes me grouchy. i hate its inescapability.
everything in new orleans, at least, was air-conditioned.
last night t skipped class and we walked along the waterfront. i was in a pissy mood. his mental issues occasionally irritate the shit out of me- i get so impatient with what i see as his self-sabotage. and yet he's one of the most reasonable and self-aware people i've ever met... talking later helped enormously. we went to charlie's and ate fries. it was still 85 degrees at one am, so i dragged him out of his oppressive blood-red-walled apartment to the fountain at cal anderson. there were a lot of people still out, talking, playing in the water. it felt like a comfortable bath. we sat against the cistern and i took pictures of my feet, every bit a cliche.
*
today is geddy lee's 56th birthday- the man, not the cat.
*
"fuck 'em and feed 'em fish." -tony curtis

1 comment:

Bronto Love said...

Wow, I saw Rush in 1990. Geddy Lee would have been about my age then. That is sobering, cause I thought they were old fucks at the time. Sigh.